Object path values - which service do they belong to?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed May 18 13:34:59 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 15:42 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> It would feel a lot better to me if a new proxy were constructed *each
> time* (an implication is that you want to avoid sending any dbus
> messages or other expense if a proxy is just constructed and finalized
> without using it)

A new proxy is constructed each time.  We don't do any magic like trying
to find an existing proxy and returning one of those.

> This keeps people from even thinking about doing things like storing
> object data on proxies or pointer-comparing two proxies.

Right.

> > However, one thing I should note is that due to the way the bindings are
> > fully GType-based now, is that we can actually let clients choose how
> > they want object paths demarshalled, by passing different GTypes in.  It
> > would be pretty trivial to define a new DBUS_TYPE_G_OBJECT_PATH which
> > derived from G_TYPE_BOXED, and then we could use it like this:
>
> Or just let them use G_TYPE_STRING probably

Yeah, although that makes demarshalling sort of weakly lossy (currently
anything that can be demarshalled can be marshalled again without losing
information, but if DBUS_TYPE_OBJECT_PATH -> G_TYPE_STRING, then once
you have a G_TYPE_STRING you can't know whether it was originally
DBUS_TYPE_OBJECT_PATH or DBUS_TYPE_STRING).  Maybe that's not a big
deal.