C API tutorial

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 12:59:59 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 20:37 +0000, Matthew Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, J5 wrote:
>
> > This is all really cool though I would rather a tutorial which utilized
> > filter functions and read_write_dispatch.  The nice thing about doing it
> > that way is it is mostly interchangeable when using a real mainloop so
> > the mainloop becomes an implementation detail in the tutorial and not a
> > confusing "how should I structure my code?" detail.  We can put sidebars
> > for tips on how to get messages without needing a filter function along
> > with the pitfalls in doing so.
>
> yeah, I agree it would be nice, looking over the C API it really wasn't
> obvious how to use it. For a lot of small apps which only want to expose
> one or two things, this is fine though. (This is the tutorial I wrote
> because this is what I am doing).
>
> Matt

Oh, ya it is all good work.  What I was saying is we need something like
this as part of the official tutorial and in that capacity I would like
to present the use of filter functions as the "official" way of handling
messages.  It makes it easy to jump to explaining the mainloop
integration.  Is it ok if I take your tutorial and integrate it into the
tutorial that ships with the code?