should request_name org.freedesktop.DBus fail?

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at
Mon Nov 7 10:17:25 PST 2005

This sounds like something we want to decide on right now since it
changes the API.  Returning an error seems like the right thing to do
here though there may be reasons why we don't.

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 12:06 +0000, Robert McQueen wrote:
> At risk of talking to myself... on a related note, if you request a
> garbage name, the method returns 0 but does not set an error, because
> the library uses:
>   _dbus_return_val_if_fail (_dbus_check_is_valid_bus_name (name), 0);
> At the start of the function, amongst others.
> This and others like it should either be made to return an error, or the
> fact this function can return 0 in unspecific error cases (rather one of
> the return values in the documentation) made clear in the API
> documentation and spec.
> Regards,
> Rob

John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at>