PATCH: get unix user speed up

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 06:08:02 PDT 2005

Michael Krivoruchko said:
> Actually, I am working on per-uid message bus names. The idea is to let
> a user to have private "channel" on the system wide bus. So the same
> message bus name would represent different instances of a "service" for
> different users. This would allow realtime data shearing between sessions
> of the same user.

If you look a bit further back on the list archives, I was recently
wondering about setting up a user bus type, with a per-user socket. This
has possible security issues which concerned Havoc, and he didn't seem
quite conviced there was a use case for this. This is a different solution
for a similar problem, although I wonder if it's just overcomplicating
things. What's your use case for this? Would it be sufficient to add a new
bus configuration file which set up another uniquely-named (a-la-session
bus) socket, and then registered the names with a user bus registry on the
system bus (bus station? :D).

Regards,
Rob