Passing file descriptors over DBUS

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 11:26:31 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 15:28 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> At the moment the code in dbus-transport-unix.c that reads from the socket,
> just seems to read from the socket as much as it can without being aware of
> message boundaries, that's something that would need some adjustment.

Right, that's done on purpose now for performance reasons. I don't know
if it's worth worrying about, but if you really wanted to have great
benchmarks vs. other IPC mechanisms it probably is, at least in certain
situations. (e.g. read a big queue of accumulated events in one go)

dbus doesn't benchmark that well right now anyway, but it does get right
minimizing syscalls and keeping things async rather than
round-trip-intensive. The slow part right now is protocol parsing.