python bindings & gmainloop

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 16:08:06 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 15:11 -0700, Sean Meiners wrote:
> Is there any way, at all, to use the python bindings without the gmainloop?
> The reason I as is that I'm writing a couple of apps in pykde/qt and find
> that entering the gmainloop prevents the python interpreter from servicing
> any other threads (both python threads and QThreads).  I've worked around
> this issue temporarily by creating a function that sleeps for a short time
> and passing it to gobject.timeout_add.  This seems to give enough time back
> to the interpreter to service other threads, but it just doesn't feel like
> the right way to go about it (time-slicing is the kernel's job).  I would
> much prefer to use a python thread (or the Qt event loop if necessary) to
> service the dbus signal receivers. Is this currently possible?

For sending you can just use blocking calls but for receiving you need
to have a main loop that is integrated with D-Bus.  gmainloop shouldn't
block other threads though.  Can you try making a loop without using
dbus and see if that also causes the problem in which case it is a bug
in PyGTK?  If it doesn't then the Pyrex bindings could be holding onto
the GIL for too long.

Another point is I recently split out the GLib stuff so anyone is free
to implement another main loop adapter.  Look at the dbus.py and
dbus_glib_bindings.pyx files to see how this is done.  Patches are
welcome.

Oh also you need to initialize threading in both GTK and DBus.