Updated Qt bindings

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Sep 23 07:14:07 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 15:41 +0200, Harald Fernengel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after some talks with the KDE people and the original maintainers of the Qt
> D-BUS bindings, we decided to replace the existing ones with the ones from
> KDE's svn server. This allows Qt/only projects to use them without checking
> out KDE stuff (or understanding the KDE build system ;)).
>
> The new bindings work with Qt 4 and link only to Qt Core (no more GUI
> dependency). The Qt 3 bindings will continue to live in KDE's svn, because no
> one wants to fix them up into a releasable state that does more than receive
> HAL events.
>
> Feedback welcome :)

Perhaps we should leave the old bindings in (move them to a kde3
directory or something like that and have an --enable-kde3 switch?)
since KDE 4 is a long way away from what I hear.  I had a bunch of
people asking me to enable it in Fedora, which I recently did, so they
could use HAL with Konqueror.  However if they are in as bad and
unmaintained a state as you seem to suggest I would just as soon take
them out of Fedora.

I have no objections to the Qt4 bindings going into the D-Bus CVS tree.
What is their state?  How long until you consider them to be 1.0 quality
(with all the goodies that come with that such as maintaining backwards
compatibility with future releases)?  I would like to release all the
core bindings (GLib, Python, Qt4?) as 1.0 when we release D-Bus 1.0
(date pending but we should do a push to get the last features in soon).
Of course that is not a hard requirement and if you need more time we
can note that in the 1.0 release notes and change the build from auto to
off by default.