Win32 port

Kosina, Martin martin.kosina at intel.com
Mon Apr 10 09:56:17 PDT 2006

Greetings,

New to the list, so I wanted to say "hi" to all. We are working on a
Win32 port of dbus for an in-house distributed agent project, but hoping
to eventually contribute patches back to the community. We have a basic
Windows (NT+) DLL for libdbus now, but no reasonable replacement for the
domain socket transport yet, or full security model (usual
getuid()/getgid() int challenges vs. Win32 string SIDs, right now
everyone thinks they are the same user within one machine). Working on
porting the bus daemon now (console app first, hopefully Win32 service
when the security is resolved), which means all the process control
stuff in dbus-spawn.c, and also expat or libxml. Tor Lillqvist has been
kind enough to provide his old diffs - thanks ! These was taken against
a cca. 0.3x tree (I think), so I've been using it mostly for inspiration
and pasting chunks here & there.

Re: unix socket workaround, one idea (Tor went down this road as well,
as far as I can tell) was to create pseudo-sockets by sharing custom TCP
port numbers via files, then falling back on calling the TCP transport
as loopback. This works for an initial port, but should probably be
replaced by some more direct native IPC, like named pipes or
memory-mapped files.

If anyone has looked into porting d-bus before, I'd love to hear your
thoughts on the outstanding hurdles - thanks for any feedback !

Martin