Introduction to D-BUS

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Aug 29 08:35:29 PDT 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>Binding-dependent. The GLib bindings offer two kinds of proxy; one is
>called "for name" and it simply doesn't pay any attention to the name's
>existence, just sends the method calls; if the name doesn't exist, the
>bus replies with an error. If the client restarts some of your calls
>might get errors while it's down. The other kind of proxy is "for name
>owner" and when you create the proxy it looks up the current name owner
>and then binds the proxy to the unique name ":NN-NN" - which means the
>proxy only ever talks to the one current client, and will break
>permanently if the client restarts.

For completeness to your text:

the Qt binding offers only one kind of proxy. Right now, it's the "for
name owner" type that Havoc described above.

It's being changed to be "for name" exclusively. You can get the old
behaviour by calling GetNameOwner, if you wanted, and then create your
proxy on the name owner instead.

The rationale that we see is that we don't really care if a name got
restarted or replaced: applications generally want to talk to a service,
whichever application is providing it.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358