KDE adoption of D-Bus

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 12:43:08 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 17:32 +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 04:31:59PM +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > If we switch to D-Bus to accomplish those same tasks, KDE 4 applications
> > will need the D-Bus session server daemon to be started even if run in an
> > environment without it. To illustrate, imagine a user running Konqueror
> > inside his preferred window manager out of 1996 -- or on Windows.
>
> I just want to point it that this happens more often than one might
> think.  I for one use things like konqueror, kcalc and khexdit while
> my WM is fvwm2.  I know a bunch of people that use kde (and gnome for
> that matter) applications but are not interested by the desktop
> itself.

I don't think this is the primary reason to do auto-startup; there is
nothing kde/gnome specific about dbus, nor does it have lots of
dependencies, nor is it resource-hungry, and all linux distributions are
starting to depend on dbus for basic system functions anyway so it's in
the base install. It should be normal in the future for distributions to
start dbus for *all* X sessions, whether GNOME, KDE, or "classic"

I'd say auto-startup is more useful for just running on old UNIX
versions where people haven't fixed the startup scripts, or running on
OS X, stuff like that. And setting the X property is useful anyhow for
remote X clients. But I don't think we should consider auto-startup a
"normal" mode of operation, at least on Linux, it's just kind of a
compatibility thing.

One issue is that things will break badly if a remote X client does the
startup (the bus daemon will end up on the wrong machine... which will
work in theory maybe, but probably not really very well). There are lots
of reasons to just start the daemon on login whenever we can.