KDE adoption of D-Bus

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Feb 15 17:39:42 PST 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 09:06, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> This would solve the problem of auto-launch and also solve the problem
> of providing the bus address to remote X clients.

I don't think bus forwarding to remote clients should be the default. It
breaks the assumption that all clients in a single DBUS session run on the
same host. E.g. if you start a help viewer via dbus you suddenly discover
that the host that runs your dbus session server doesn't have the help files
that belong to the application that runs on the remote server. I don't think
it's worth it trying to get all that right.

> Though really to make
> remote clients work smoothly we need to go one more step and forward the
> bus traffic over ssh, at least this way it will work in a no-firewalls
> situation (after you turn on tcp for the session bus anyway, it's not on
> by default I'm pretty sure).

If you want that (and once dbus actually supports it) you can set
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS accordingly on the remote server after you have
connected to the remote server and before you start an application. But see
above.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Linux Client Architect - Channel Platform Solutions Group - Intel Corporation