Errors and the introspection format

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Feb 19 21:24:53 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 19:30 +0000, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> OK, that makes sense and I will stick to unchecked exceptions (or
> "Optionally checked" exceptions). Can we please have an annotation
> listing non-standard exceptions which can be thrown though

I think that's worth discussing.

Do we currently support annotations that are global to the XML file, vs.
on specific objects like methods?

We need a list of just:
  <error name="org.foo.Bar"/>

This would be information of use only to code generators, which would
create an empty class or something like:

package org.foo;

class Bar extends WhateverException {
}

This would then be converted to/from the error named org.foo.Bar in the
generated binding code.

If a binding saw the same error name listed in two XML files, it would
only generate a single class. This implies that we probably want to
avoid having any info about an error other than its name (since said
info could be different in different XML files and create a problem).

Other thoughts?