outside-dispatch-lock handlers

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Tue Feb 28 09:54:56 PST 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>I don't think that's the case right now ... the idea is that you could
>filter out a signal, but that normally you'd say NOT_YET_HANDLED and let
>everyone see it, I think that was the idea anyway.
>
>Hmm, obviously this breaks "outside handler" though, unless we add
>NET_YET_HANDLED_OUTSIDE ;-)

The semantics for the filter are very different for calls and for signals.
For the former, "handled" means "I handled this message". For signals, it
means "please hide this message from other filters".

I think that this difference should be documented, or completely removed
(i.e., the return value for signals be completely ignored).

How about avoiding the new return type and ALWAYS calling the "outside"
handler for every registered handler?

Going further, how about always calling the handler outside the lock if
the message is a signal? Once a signal is dequeued from the incoming
list, it will not generate automatic messages. But I'm probably going too
fast with this, because if this is possible, then it should be possible
too to do the handling completely unlocked. And there must be a pretty
good reason why it isn't so already...

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway