How to discover introspection toplevel objects

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Tue Jan 24 14:40:26 PST 2006

I think you should too ;-)

Not sure if it is actually like that now, it has been a while since I
tried but back then none of the freedesktop objects themselves
implemented introspection.

What I wondered is: can we expect that for 1.0 all freedesktop objects
implement introspection. And in the way that you can get at all the
child objects too?

Because my soapbox-issue has always been to be able to do what you can
do with dcop: just browse around to see what services exist and try them
out.

That's the way I found out I could "nudge" the screensaver to go away
from a computer across the room if I wanted to see if a lengthy
compile/download job had already finished. Nothing spectacular in itself
but the fact that I had just "discovered" this feature myself without
reading any documentation or looking at any example code really
convinced me that dcop worked quite well. I would love to be able to
something like that with DBus. And if developers can't be forced somehow
to implement introspection the deault (freedesktop) objects should at
least give the best example possible IMO.

Getting of my soapbox now *blush*

-Tako

PS: If there's still some introspection-work left to be done, I wouldn't
mind helping out where I can.