Unable to determine the address of the message bus

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Sat Jan 28 19:31:24 PST 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 22:43 +1100, Rod Butcher wrote:
>
>>I have what is basically a Mandrake 10.2 box, and have installed
>>Mandrake's dbus packages. I have 2 dbus daemons running, one using the
>>/etc/dbus-1/session.conf file, the other using the
>>etc/dbus-1/system.conf file. I understand this ought to provide a user
>>message bus and a systemwide message bus, correct ?
>>Any app I run (e.g. gnome-screensaver, evolution) that needs to use DBUS
>>output messages like the following :-
>>(gnome-screensaver:5434): gnome-screensaver-WARNING **: couldn't connect
>>to session bus: Unable to determine the address of the message bus
>>(gnome-screensaver:5434): gnome-screensaver-WARNING **: failed to
>>register with the message bus
>>I have read and digested as far as I am able (I'm not a developer) the
>>documentation on the freedesktop site. What am I doing wrong ? Pointers
>>to relevant documentation gratefully received.
>

> Normally, when you log in to X the distribution would have configured
> the X startup scripts to launch dbus and set the
> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable.
>
> My guess is that either you just need to log out and back in, or that
> Mandrake hasn't done this yet.
Thanks. a search for DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS gave me
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-launch.1.html which led me to run
dbus-launch, and I got the output :-
[root at HYENA1 root]# dbus-launch
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-FStk9jnJvk,guid=1d29dc431fe62f5da51df9e4bb2ee600'
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=30161
So the variable is set.
I read further and discovered that I could launch the app by :
dbus-launch <appname> and Woot ! I now have gnome-screensaver running OK.
Is this the usual way to run a program that accesses the message bus, or
does this mean I still have an incomplete environment ?
I start X by directly running gdm, which bypasses the xinit stuff.
thanks
Rod