dbus-launch --exit-with-session and stdin

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Thu Jul 13 17:03:05 PDT 2006

> is stdin a tty, or perhaps /dev/null or the like that would give an EOF
> instead of a HUP?

stdin is a tty, confirmed.

> I don't know if the dbus code tests isatty()

Yes, it does. As an experiment, I changed

-exec $command
+exec $command < /dev/null

and the bus doesn't get killed, because that code is not executed due to stdin
not being a tty.

> Conceivably we rely on it somewhere by starting a bus with a pipe on stdin or something instead of a tty.

Then wouldn't the meaning of --exit-with-session be a bit wider than what the
man page states?

I'm thinking if we #ifdef around that chunk of code on Solaris, would it break
anything. Unless we root cause the problem it'd be hard to say for sure without
testing, but also hard to test everything.

-Artem.