announce: (preliminary) dbus haskell bindings

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Thu Jul 13 18:56:45 PDT 2006

(And since I basically just announced this, may as well make it official...)

HDBus is the beginnings of DBus bindings for everyone's favorite
obscure programming language, Haskell.  It currently wraps enough of
the API to make simple blocking calls, but I'm announcing it anyway
because it's already nearly useful for my purposes.

Since Haskell is all about fancy types, this API has the cute feature
of being able to serialize plain Haskell data directly to and from
DBus.  That is, you can pass a literal like (4, ["hello"]) as
arguments for a DBus message and it'll properly serialize, and
retrieving the response works similarly.  Additionally, all the
argument validity is verified at compile time -- you can't stuff an
opaque object into a variant and expect DBus to know how to serialize
it.

(There's a bit more on how this works here, though maybe it's old hat
to Haskell geeks:
  http://community.livejournal.com/evan_tech/189555.html )

Source browser:
  http://neugierig.org/software/darcs/browse/?r=hdbus;a=summary