Is it D-Bus, DBus, D-BUS or dbus?

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Tue Jul 18 03:54:16 PDT 2006

On 7/18/06, Timo Hoenig <thoenig at suse.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 20:16 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 09:06 +0900, Evan Martin wrote:
> > > So is it going to be D-Bus, then?  I just noticed the wiki changed...
> >
> > Yep.
>
> Why?
>
> This thread shows a trend towards using D-BUS rather than D-Bus to me.
>
> If you crawl the web, look at package descriptions and mail archives you
> can see a broad usage of the term D-BUS.  Dropping D-BUS in favor of
> D-Bus causes unnecessary confusion and mix up in my opinion.

I think which name in particular is less important than agreeing upon
one, and John seems to be the right person to make the final decision.

If it's any consolation, popular media regularly called GNOME "Gnome",
so it's possible an official name like D-BUS would've eventually
migrated to mixed-case anyway.

(Now the question for me becomes what to call my bindings:  Haskell
people often prefix with an "H", but HD-Bus looks really weird...)