memory freeing necessary?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Jul 25 07:37:39 PDT 2006

>> It's OPTIONAL for services to install introspection data, but if they
>> do it needs to be stored in
>>
>>  /usr/share/dbus/introspection-data/<service-name>/<interface-name>.xml

I would not include <service-name> here - well, first it should be bus
name, can somebody audit the word 'service' out of the dbus source tree
so we can get rid of this word that misleads the hell out of everyone ;-)

But even so, conceptually what I'd think we're installing is an
interface. I might even suggest:
  - the file must be named after the interface
  - only one interface per file
  - no paths or objects allowed in the file

bus names and paths often are "dynamic"

Remember the bus name is conceptually a "domain name" or "IP address" or
perhaps a "PID" and a path is conceptually a "pointer" or "handle" to an
object; so having either of those things listed in an installed file I'd
say might only lead to people misusing them.

Obviously the well-known bus names like org.freedesktop.Hal are part of
the overall interface contract of an app, but I would say the bindings
generated from installed files should usually create a proxy object that
can be pointed at any bus name.