question on <auth> and .dbus_keyrings

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Wed Jun 28 00:19:12 PDT 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>Most of the time right now it seems to work to do "dbus-launch foobar"
>which gives foobar its own private little bus... most foobar will run OK
>in that case, though obviously if foobar actually _requires_ desktop
>services it won't work ;-)

That's the solution I used.

Except I've just realised that I forgot to start the other bus :-)

>I think this is perhaps a nicer and more general approach than just
>hardcoding "root is OK" - though allowing root doesn't really decrease
>security in my mind (root could just su to your account, obviously), it
>also doesn't "solve for good" this issue.
>
>This could be done by just adding another auth mechanism.

Before adding yet another auth mechanism, I'd like to explore the existing
ones better. I have found very little documentation. Where can I read
more about them? And are they still subject to the "root-or-user" rule?

>(Are env variables always hidden from other users though? I don't really
>know.)

Yes, but not from root.

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech ASA - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway