system.conf question

Mark S. Townsley mstownsley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 10:25:16 PDT 2006

So I just quickly hacked up a server/client application that would just send
some texts from client to server.   I am using the system bus.

My actual application and this test application live on the same box so
using the same dbus daemon and system.conf file.

My little test works even though I setuid the client to nobody and tried
running as various users.  My server process is run as root.    This is
while my actual application, with a similar setup, does not work.

I did an strace on both actual app and this test app.

The difference I see is that on the test app,  AUTH EXTERNAL receives an OK.
But on my actual app, AUTH EXTERNAL and AUTH DBUS_COOKIE are both rejected
(hence failed to connect).

And since they are using the same system.conf, whatever I have in there
should allow both situations to work.

Is there anything else that AUTH XXX relies on so that it accept
authentication?

I am using dbus_bus_get() and dbus_bus_get_private()  to connect to the
system bus.

-vincent