Mono bindings

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Wed Mar 1 10:37:34 PST 2006

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 04:43:37PM +0000, Matthew Johnson wrote:

>>> Since you mentioned SCM....
>>>

>>> Since both Git & Mercurial are so similar, I'd go for either of them
>>> in preference to CVS :-)
>>>

>> Well, if we are doing this; the Java ones are all in perforce, not that
>> I'd recommend it necessarily (because it's not free, not because it's
>> not great).
>>

> I used Perforce for a couple of years & it is very nice to work with - in
> particular it is super fast - just a shame its closed source :-(
>

>> I think this was discussed a while ago and several people were in favour
>> of subversion. I don't think we really need a distributed SCM, and
>> (although I've not tried it) git is meant to be good for the kernel and
>> not a lot else.
>>

> I've not tried GIT myself, but its very similar in capabilities to
> Mercurial, which in turn is very good as a general purpose SCM tool.
>
> The nice aspect of distributed SCM is flexibility - you can use it in
> a manner that is very close to centralized system - ie have one master
> repository, and just your local 'working' copy of the repository. So
> your day-to-day mode of operation is very similar to what you'd see
> with CVS/Subversion, but with the added advantage that you have full
> SCM capabilities when you're without network (on a train, in the park,
> etc) oh and because all SCM ops are local, it is *lightening* fast to
> operate.

But as far as I know both have the problem that there is no integration
with popular IDEs.

Now I understand that lots of people still like using vi or emacs for
their development but I prefer Eclipse for my Java development myself :-)

Not that this has anything to do with maintaining dbus bindings of
course, it is just a general observation and completely OT.

Cheers,
 -Tako