System and Session Bus

Milosz Derezynski internalerror at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 09:51:52 PST 2006

On 3/20/06, Oliver Frommel <ofrommel at linuxnewmedia.de> wrote:

Not the text editor maybe, but:
> - most sound software (USB audio and midi devices)
> - software for digital cameras
> - video editing software (IEEE1394)
>
> In these cases I would connect the application to the system bus
> and register them for events of the appropriate devices of the
> Hal service. Additionally I would have to connect to the
> session bus to make the applications scriptable or exchange
> data with cooperating applications.

Yes but there exists libhal which is a library that abstracts out
communication with hal trough DBus for the API user, so there is no need to
connect to the session bus by yourself; instead you can make use of libhal,
and don't need to deal with DBus directly at all there. There is also
libhal-storage, which is a separate library with an even simpler interface
since storage handling is a very common use case when using HAL.