[patch] standard_session_servicedirs (was Re: OLPC and .service files in a users home directory)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Nov 1 16:47:05 PST 2006

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 06:44:49PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>> John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
>>> I'm going to look at fixing up the directory expansion
>>> macros as per Daniel Stone's previous comments.
>> Good luck ;-)
>>
>> (First it might be worth considering what case breaks; I do believe what
>> we do now isn't kosher, but on the other hand, nobody has ever reported
>> it as a bug, so maybe it breaks doing something nobody does)
>
> Depends on how indirect your definition of datadir is.  If it's relative
> to a non-expanded prefix, it breaks.  If it's relative to a non-expanded
> prefix and you're using autoconf 2.60 and an old version of
> AC_DEFINE_DIR, it also breaks.
>
> AC_SUBST might expand enough to generally suit you for the common case,
> I'm not sure.  But we've had to deal with this all through X, first in
> the server and subsequently in the libraries.

AC_SUBST doesn't work, no; dbus configure.in is already doing one eval
to address non-expanded prefix. John's patch is not using the normal
datadir, it's using an EXPANDED_DATADIR that was earlier eval'd.

Looking at AC_DEFINE_DIR it looks like the single-eval in dbus today
might work for autoconf 2.59 (which would explain why nobody has
complained) but that 2.60 might require a double-eval. I don't know if
the games with NONE are 2.60 specific (other than the lack of bugs filed
on dbus so far hints that it might be)