[announce] D-Bus 1.0 RC 3 (0.95) "There is no place like home" has been released

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Nov 3 14:13:43 PST 2006

Yep, that right folks.  We are in that final stretch.  I am proud to
announce D-Bus 1.0 RC 3 (0.95) "There is no place like home".  Ladies
and Gentlemen, this release feels pretty solid and with the addition of
extra documentation detailing our API/ABI guarantees I believe you are
looking at the final candidate.  Of course if something big comes up
that we need to fix we will do another RC release.  The highlights of
this release are:

* No need to use the DBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE macro when compiling an
app.  Guess what, we've been API stable for awhile now.  That sucker
isn't going to change in this branch.

* dbus-uuidgen --ensure is now run in the init script and writes
to /var/lib/dbus for those all too common stateless installs such as
LiveCD's.  Packagers should remember to create and own the /var/lib/dbus
directory.

* The session bus is now setup to define a couple of standard service
directories specified by the XDG directory spec.  Under a standard
install these directories are as follows:

/usr/local/share/dbus-1/services
/usr/share/dbus-1/services
$HOME/.local/share/dbus-1/services

That is correct, a user can now override service files if say they want
to test out a different notification daemon.  It also allows
applications that install as the user to further integrate with D-Bus.

* There have also been a slew of fixes for *BSD variant.  Unfortunately
because of the lack of active *BSD developers we are not blocking on
*BSD working for 1.0.  Hopefully this release fixes the remaining issues
and there is still a window of time to get more fixes in however, it may
have to be pushed out to a point release.

As usual:

http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus/dbus-0.95.tar.gz