DBus XPCOM

Mohamed Attar mattar1 at learn.senecac.on.ca
Mon Nov 13 12:20:08 PST 2006

Hello,

First, I'd like to say the DBus technology is great. Congrats on the
release of Blue Bird.

I am a student at Seneca College, and my friend and I are trying to
start or continue a DBus XPCOM project.

My professor, David Humphrey, is teaching an Open Source coarse, and is
closely involved with the Mozilla crew. http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki

We are planning to start some integration between the two technologies.
We probably won't be able to finish, but other students from the next
semesters would most likely carry it on.

We checked out Christophe Nowicki's DBuzilla project. I tried contacting
him about his project, but I didn't get much info. Looks like the
project has put on a halt for now.

We, the students, are new to Open Source technologies, so forgive our
ignorance.
We are curious as to the direction we should go with this project.
The DBuzilla projects looks like it implements DBus natively to XPCOM
objects, but I also see there are many bindings to DBus (GLib and that
openwengo's DBus-CPP looks interesting).

Does anybody have any recommendations as to how we should wrap XPCOM
around DBus? Would it be possible/best to use the DBUS-CPP library with
XPCOM? or must it be done natively (like DBuzilla
http://www.csquad.org/category/d-bus/)?

Thanks for your time.

Mohamed.