dbus call into a program -> hangs

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 17:13:43 PST 2006

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 at 22:54:46 +0100, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
> this application is the Gnome Meld visual diff program, which is, as
> it happens, implemented in python.

Ah, Python. The usual dbus-python problem is not having an "import dbus.glib"
before you use D-Bus for the first time.

When this module is imported, some magic happens and the GLib main
loop is connected up to all Bus objects created in future. Any Bus
objects created before you import dbus.glib will not be able to make
async method calls, receive signals, or export objects as a service.

I realise this isn't a nice or intuitive API, and earlier today I was working
on improving it for dbus-python 0.80 (at the very least, trying to construct
a Bus that won't actually work should raise an exception). For the moment
you're stuck with it, though.

	Simon