D-Bus and Bonjour service discovery

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Nov 22 10:00:24 PST 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 10:10, Tim Wilkinson wrote:

> > You could of course offer a service via something like bonjour,
> > where the service happened to use the dbus protocol. But this would
> > not require writing any new IPC system or library, it would just be
> > a particular application (like music sharing or whatever you were
> > coding).
>
> As you say, sure you could to this - but then all you're doing is
> using d-bus as a rather useful IPC mechanism and, my understanding
> is, that it's more than that.   What I want to find is a way of
> enabling d-bus on a local network, and bonjour seems like an obvious
> choice for building that bus.

They way I see it:
you would have D-Bus running on each system.
An application can easily connect to its local system bus and its session bus.
If it could discover the system bus of the other machines, it would also
communicate with applications registered there.

I think, Havoc will correct me if I am wrong :), D-Bus applications can
connect to a bus via TCP (if enabled there), provided they know the
connection parameters.

I guess that Bonjour/Avahi clients can retrieve those parameters, the question
is who provides them?
Is this some configuration on the remove Bonjour daemon or would the D-Bus
daemon have to register?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring