D-Bus and Bonjour service discovery

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 16:30:28 PST 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Jamie McCracken wrote:
>>
>> It would make life a lot easier for me if a bus of some sort could be
>> used externally. At some point I would like to do network searching
>> using tracker (which currently only uses the session bus) but it would
>> be quite mucky having to reimplement our dbus interfaces using a
>> DBusServer in P2P mode just to make it network transparent.
>>
>> Im sure there's a whole load of groupware style desktop apps that
>> would benefit from being able to use a simpler bus for machine to
>> machine comms too without worrying about port addresses or having to
>> use lower level code.
>>
>> Rather than use the system bus, would it not be better to have an
>> additional "external bus", which can be run as non-root?
>>

> I suppose a per-machine "external bus" could listen on TCP, and apps
> could connect to it to offer services to or from that machine. I would
> agree though that it should be separate from the system bus.
>
> It's easy to experiment with, it should not involve any dbus code
> changes. Just create an external.conf config file and init scripts to
> start the thing, then start figuring out how your app would use it and
> how an app on another machine would discover it.
>
> My guess is that e.g. you would use a service discovery protocol like
> bonjour to list machines on the network that export an external dbus
> daemon, then you can connect to the daemon on any given machine.

there would have to be a additonal API for something like
dbus_bus_get_network with additonal params for ip address and possibly
port number (if the external/network bus's port was not set in stone) of
the remote machine we want to connect to.

In a future tracker config gui, we would use Avahi to list all tracker
services available and use them to populate the dbus_bus_get_network call.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/