D-Bus and Bonjour service discovery

Tim Wilkinson tim at hiveminded.com
Wed Nov 22 22:59:15 PST 2006

I guess I'm speaking conceptually - obviously you don't run anything
on the bus since it is, when all said and done, a bit of damp string
with a couple of cans at the end (only more hi-tech) :-)

I saw Jamie's note go by and yes that's basically what I'm driving at
here - and since dbus already have the ability to connect services
across machines (via good old tcp) then its more about managing
service discovery in such an environment.  As I've said, mostly I'm
trying to get a handle on the usefulness of the ideas rather than the
implementation of the ideas - I have no doubt it can be implemented
and probably a cooperating set of demons exchanging service
information via Bonjour is the way to go, though there are other
options such as DHTs, centralized registration similar to DHCP or DNS
(clearly the easiest to implement), or even something as horrible as
a master/slave vote base manager thing (similar to Microsoft's local
networking stuff).  I'm in favor of a Bonjour based implementation
primarily because my experiences with the protocol have been very
positive.

As for audio - yeah, well I knew that was a bad example the moment I
wrote it :-) However, the concept I was driving (poorly) at was the
potential for dbus to allow you to use the same inter-app protocol
between apps on different machines - not necessarily without
realizing this (because after all they have different environmental
characteristic) but at least without having to do it all a different
way.  Better examples might be collaborative applications, sharing a
scanner, programming a DVR, operating a home Zigbee mesh, managing a
WiFi box or NAT, compiler or render farms, etc. - essentially
anything you have one one machine you want to use form another
(ignoring anything with realtime properties for the moment).

All these Linux based boxes on my network not speaking to each other
is just ... well .. wrong ...

Tim