fail to start X, unknown tag standard_session_servicedirs

frederic heem frederic.heem at telsey.it
Thu Nov 23 03:46:58 PST 2006

On Thursday 23 November 2006 12:31 pm, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> frederic heem wrote:
> >Anyway, the daemon must handle unknown tag nicely,
>
> I don't agree. If you put invalid data into /etc/passwd, you don't expect
> tools to keep working. If you write an invalid configuration into
> Apache's httpd.conf, it won't load. If you have a corrupted xorg.conf, X
> won't load either.
It means these programs are not robust and are fragile like crystal glass.
The xml configuration session.conf was well-formed but contained a tag that
was not recognized because it was added recently. In this case, the daemon
shall print a warning and shall not abort.
At the moment, it's too easy to screw up whole system.
Frederic Heem