fail to start X, unknown tag standard_session_servicedirs

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Nov 27 09:49:56 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 11:24 +0100, frederic heem wrote:
> On Thursday 23 November 2006 11:08 am, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > frederic heem wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >After installing dbus 1.0 on a CentOS 4.4 (which is a rhel4) and
> > > rebooting, X failed to start and I was stuck with a console login and
> > > vi.
> > >dbus-daemon complained about the tag "standard_session_servicedirs"
> > >Fine that it's not aware or it must not abort for this reason. It shall
> > > be robust enough to handle unknown tag.
> > >Beware that upgrading dbus was can screw up the whole system.
> > >Frederic Heem
> >
> > Looks like you upgraded the D-Bus configuration files, but not the daemon
> > itself.
> Actually, there are 2 daemons, one in /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon and the other
> one in  /usr/bin/dbus-daemon. The former is the first in the PATH
> For some reason, X is using the old one (/usr/bin/dbus-daemon), maybe it
> screws up the PATH.
> Anyway, the daemon must handle unknown tag nicely.
> Frederic Heem

CentOS 4.4/RHEL-4 will not run with D-Bus 1.0.  The apps are just too
old.  Things like changing the bus location, upping the soname, etc. I
am wondering why you didn't get conflicts while installing or why
dbus-launch and dbus-daemon did not get uninstalled (did you force
install?)  In any case you can assume that before 1.0.x D-Bus is not
upgradable.  With 1.0.x series this will no longer be the case.