DBus .service file location

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Nov 29 05:20:55 PST 2006

Sebastian Trüg wrote:
>* Do all .service files have to be installed in the
> /usr/share/dbus-1/services dir or is it possible to specify another
> folder?

That depends on your session.conf file. There are two sets of dirs that
are searched:

1) PREFIX/share/dbus-1/services
2) $XDG_DATA_DIRS/share/dbus-1/services

Where XDG_DATA_DIRS defaults to /usr:/usr/local, if not set.

If you want to specify more folders, you have to modify session.conf (or
session-local.conf, which is recommended).

>* Do I have to specify the full path to the exec binary or can I rely on
> PATH?

I'd say relying on PATH is a very bad practice. The PATH that applies is
that with which the dbus-daemon was launched -- and that can be empty.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358