set user id for service ?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Sat Sep 16 06:06:05 PDT 2006

Matthew Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
>> a. the pretty uninteresting case when no-one is logged in; and
>>

> One worry I have reading this thread is that I have a lot of computers
> where this is the case; most of the time no-one is logged in and no-one
> _ever_ logs in graphically, it's just not installed. Is there anything
> which I currently do on my servers which you are planning to handle with
> session-based programs?

That's my worry as well, I don't really like the idea that some might
thing my case "uninteresting" just because I'm not logged in to my
desktop all the time.

In fact I think it's one of the big design flaws of NM that they didn't
take that case into account: there is no way to specify that it has to
connect to a wireless station if nobody is logged into the system. I'm
flabbergasted when the developers say that there is no real use-case for it.

All this when there is no real technical reason not to do it, because NM
is actually nicely divided in a system daemon that does all the work and
a small desktop applet that does configuration. The flaw is with _all_
configuration being done by the applet thereby preventing NM from
connecting to wireless stations before a user has logged in.

I'm wondering if some people are so focused on "getting Linux on the
desktop" that they forget that there are lots of people using their
computer differently from them that would still benefit immensely from
some of the features provided by those, currently desktop-only, daemons.

Just my 2 uninteresting cents ;-)

Cheers,
 -Tako