dbus-sysdeps-unix.h

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Sep 17 10:18:32 PDT 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> The simple fix: I bet we don't care about the "system bus" on Windows.
> That means we only care about a bus running in the user's session and
> that bus needs to allow the same user to connect while denying all other
> users. Thus, all you have to do is find a way to authenticate that a
> connecting client is owned by the same user as the bus. There's no need
> for the rest of the user-related configuration to work as it does on
> unix.

btw, this means you should not need to implement most of the uid/gid
stuff in dbus-sysdeps.h. As a basic hack, you can just have one uid
(hardcode it to "1") which means the user id of the current process, and
you can just return that there are zero groups and always fail to lookup
group ids. Make parsing usernames just be "if current user's username
then return 1, else return failure" and parsing group names can always
fail. Make parsing a uid always fail since presumably we never do that
within the same process.

The long-term plan would be to move this API to sysdeps-unix.h of
course, and then have some unix-specific files in bus/* that use it.