dbus linked with libglib by default

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Sep 21 07:22:29 PDT 2006

frederic heem wrote:
>Alle 15:44, giovedì 21 settembre 2006, Thiago Macieira ha scritto:
>> frederic heem wrote:
>> >Things has changed, the upcoming Qt 4.2 is linked with glib.
>>
>> Not always. It's still optional.
>>
>> You'll lose a lot of support from the KDE community
>
>Could you explain me why ? Is it a religious issue ?

Yes. The position is "glib is fine, but don't make me link to it".

The last time a project KDE depended on did that (aRts), it happened that:

1) only one developer ever worked on it and, in the end, the project died
because he didn't have the time anymore
2) KDE started requiring the last version that didn't link to glib

>Anyway glib will be linked to Qt by default.

Huh? glib will link to Qt?

>Let explain them that anyway, at the moment, an old version of glib is
> hidden inside libdbus. So what do they prefer ? a bloated libdbus with
> glib statically linked and libglib.so loaded by Qt, or a thin libdbus +
> libglib.so, the last solution is better in terms of memory foot print
> and maintenance for BOTH gnome and kde.
>Please note that I am a kde zealot for years, and for technical reason
> only, glib linked to Qt is a good thing.

You've completely forgotten of the people who don't use glib now. By
linking to it, you increase the binary size for them.

But trust me on the religious argument: don't go there. Just kill this
idea right now.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358