how many types would a 'g' type type if a 'g' type would GType?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Sep 23 11:48:25 PDT 2006

Robert McQueen wrote:
> Can we tighten up the spec so
> that 'g' in a message can represent only one type, or is 'g' used
> internally in the message headers etc in a way that relies on it being a
> multiple type signature?

It is used for the signature header, so it is a multiple-type signature
there. However, I think it isn't allowed to have multiple types when
it's the signature of a variant. Don't remember for sure. If so, it
sounds like for your usage you can just assume the signature of a
variant has only one type in it.

For the glib bindings generically perhaps you could just marshal as a
GType if only one type, and as an array of GType otherwise, and app
authors can just handle both cases?