Security concerns on the Windows DBUS port

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Apr 9 01:00:08 PDT 2007

Fan Wu schrieb:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> Thanks for pointing me to the link in the archive. The last response
> from Christian in the thread is "All usefull examples are using
> overlapped functions...". So what is wrong with using overlapped
> functions (other than complexity)?
as far as I understand requires implementing named pipes a non trivial
change of the dbus source code.

> Regarding your question at the end of your last email, let me rephrase
> my statement: named pipe can be used to transport data in W2k, XP and
> Vista, but user credentials is easily available ONLY in Vista. For W2K
> and XP it might be possible to retrieve peer's PID if the DBUS daemon
> is privileged. I need to think about the details.
That would be nice.
> BTW, pipes are not available in Windows CE/Mobile platforms.
This is an additional reason why currently only tcp sockets are used.
dbus on Windows needs more developer to be able to finish the port. We
are glad that a developer of a french company is currently working on a
dbus port to Windows CE. The ongoing effort could be monitored on the
windbus-devel mailing list http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=171968

Regards
 Ralf