dbus: how to see traces from different processes

Matthieu LAURENT matthieu.laurent at purplelabs.com
Mon Apr 23 05:12:34 PDT 2007

>> Hi,
>> I am new in using dBus. I have installed an application that use dbus
>> and launch several processes.
>> New I launch the client I see its traces (fprintf(stderr), or g_print)
>> but I can not see the other traces of the processes that are going to be
>> launched.
>> If I launch this process before my application I see its traces in the
>> console where I launched it.
>> Is there a way to redirect traces in order to have all of them in the
>> same console?
>> Is it compulsory to launch processes before the application? (in my case
>> it is annoying because a process will launch several other processes)
>>

> Launch the processes before hand.  D-Bus activation is just there to
> start a process if it isn't already started.  Otherwise the process
> should act exactly the same.  The other option is to redirect stdio and
> stderr to a file in the app that is being launched.

Hi,
As I told you, I can not launch all processes before because some of
them are launched by other processes.
It seems my only solution is to redirect traces into a file (Am I right?).
The system of traces, of the code I want to use, is  based on g_debug(),
g_warning()
Is there a simple way to redirect the output of such functions?
(I mean a better way to rebuild file gmessage.c of the glib where I
should hardcode a file-descriptor in function g_log_default_handler()
instead of stdout)

Thanks for your help
Matthieu