[patch][python] Add object_path, bus_name, requested_bus_name properties to ProxyObject

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Apr 26 10:25:13 PDT 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 at 13:17:52 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 14:37 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > This patch allows some of the Telepathy Python examples to use only
> > public API.
> Not sure what you are using it for

We want to find the bus name of a Connection proxy so we
can respond to the NewChannel signal by creating a Channel object
(the Channel and the Connection are always on the same bus name),
without redundantly storing the bus name again (as a bound variable in a
lambda or something). If you must know. :-)

Also, it's information which you obviously should be able to get - the
proxy clearly has to know it, and there's no benefit in hiding it.

> Any way we can deprecate named_service in the code
> though?  I guess it is not worth it and you are now using bus_name as a
> different property.

I want to eradicate "named service" as a term in public API, to be
replaced by "bus name", which is what we actually mean. I think I can do
this in a compatible way throughout.

_named_service (note underscore) was never meant to be public API, but
telepathy-python uses it anyway. I intend to fix this!