using DBus between hosts

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 07:54:13 PDT 2007

Hi,

Sergey Struzh wrote:
> (browsing the mail list I found that when running
> dbus-daemon as root "DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1" could work but so far it fails
> for me).

The cookie mechanism involves both sides of the connection seeing the
same home directory, e.g. with NFS home directory mounts.

> I understand also that future versions of DBus is planned to
> include "ANONYMOUS", so can someone provide me with release number it is
> going to be included in (and approximate date for it)?

It is already in the current development release, see the dbus web site.
The final 1.2 release should be in the next few months. You can go ahead
and test with 1.1.2 though.

> Also, may I ask
> for simple explanation how the brand new protocol works?

The client says "I want to auth anonymously" and the server says "OK"
(not an oversimplification - that's all that happens)

> As long as I am not concerned so far with the security issues, my main
> question is whether there's a simple way to disable authentication in
> the DBus?

That's what the ANONYMOUS auth is, it is authentication that doesn't
require you to prove you have any particular identity (i.e. no
authentication at all)