/org/freedesktop/DBus/Local in message header causes disconnect - why?!

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Feb 21 23:57:19 PST 2007

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>the "Local" messages are really part of the libdbus API, not the
>protocol. So apps using libdbus should be able to rely on the API's
>correctness.

If that is so, I'd say that dbus-daemon should not kick off the bus
connections that use that object path. If it's not part of the protocol,
it has no justification for closing the connection.

As you said, it's an implementation detail.

However, libdbus can discard incoming messages that it considers
harmful -- except when it's being used by the bus daemon.

>I would think of it as: the "Local" names are reserved for synthetic
>messages that never leave the local address space of an implementation.

Also note that QtDBus gives special treatment to interface names that
start with "local.": they are not cached. All other interfaces are
required and expected to remain the same in all services throughout the
execution of the current program.

The "local" TLD was reserved by some RFC-to-be drafts on mDNS. It's
supposed to mean "valid only on this link" and cannot be routed (= cached
and transmitted to another link by a DNS implementation). It's like the
IPv4 or IPv6 link-local addresses. (169.254.0.0/16 and fe80::/64)

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358