Question on service activation

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Feb 22 13:56:37 PST 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 22:34, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> >It wouldn't have made sense to continue designing a service broker if
> > that's already handled by the existing infrastructure.
>
> The daemon is the service broker.

That's what we concluded but Havoc explained that it isn't.

> I find no need to have an *interface* broker. If you have a well-known
> service, all you need to know is which path(s) should be accessed on it,
> and which interface(s) to access with.

Hmm, well.
Seem I didn't get the right words the first time, I'll try again.

Application Okular wants to send the current document by email. It knows that
any email service will implement the interface pim.EMail

One of my questions in the original mail was: can an application assume
equality between interface name and D-Bus connection name and maybe even
equality (apart from the separator) with object path.

Or in the example, can Okular do  the equivalent of
dbus-send --dest=pim.EMail /pim/EMail pim.EMail.OpenComposer ...

The next question is a follow up: what if the process implementing pim.EMail
also implements pim.Contacts.

Ideally the process will end up owning both names, but if one application
activated pim.EMail and one activated pim.Contacts, isn't it a race condition
between the process registering both names and the bus starting the a second
instance of the process?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring