Question on service activation

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 16:07:41 PST 2007

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> - we need to make sure nobody else can hijack the name and claim to be
> the application the desktop would have launched.

The only way to do that (and to solve the other problem you described
before) is for that application (or a stub thereof) to actually be
launched early on during the desktop initialisation sequence. It's like a
DNS domain name: the only way for you to be sure that no one will
register the domain you want is to actually register it before anyone
else does so.

D-Bus cannot know which application it is that is requesting a name. All
it knows are sockets.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358