Question on service activation

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Feb 23 10:38:21 PST 2007

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>One approach might be to have all apps own at least two names; one
>that's intended to be specific to the app (such as org.gnome.Evolution)
>and one or more that might be shared/well-known (such as org.fd.EMail).
>We could use the app-specific one to refer to the specific app; for
>example, the preferred email provider could be "the .service file that
>also lists org.gnome.Evolution" - then we could have some kind of policy
>that prefers the owner of org.gnome.Evolution when deciding how to
>handle a RequestName for org.fd.EMail.

I believe this is the best approach, short of starting the actual service
on desktop boot: by whatever means, we find out which is the default
application for a given name and then that application acquires that
name.

I can think of:
1) external method. The dbus-daemon doesn't participate in this at all.
The applications define themselves how to decide which one of them is
the "default". The default one and only that one will request the shared
well-known name.

2) via daemon: the daemon tells which application it would start when the
service got requested. The application then decides if it is that one and
acquires the name.

3) via daemon, by way of automatic aliasing: the daemon bestows the shared
name automatically on the application as soon as it registers another
well-known name. That is, given two email applications org.kde.kmail and
org.gnome.evolution, the user configuration states
that "org.freedesktop.email is an alias to org.gnome.evolution". If the
user starts both apps, as soon as Evolution requests its WK name, the bus
automatically bestows upon Evolution the fd.o alias. Neither KMail nor
Evolution need to know that they are the default.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358