SSH transport

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Feb 28 15:55:48 PST 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:51:32AM +0200, Zeeshan Ali wrote:
> Hello guys!
>   Some of you probably already know about my itsy bitsy project
> called Gabriel (http://gabriel.sourceforge.net), which allows a dbus
> client to connect to a remote bus over SSH. I really would have liked
> to implement an SSH (libssh-based) transport for libdbus instead of
> writing gabriel but I wasn't sure wether dbus devels would like that
> or not. I asked on the irc channel a few times but nobody seemed
> enthusiastic about it so i started writing gabriel as an independent
> project.
>
>  Anyways! I am still ready to write an SSH transport based on code
> from Gabriel if dbus devels are interesed. Waiting for your
> oppinions/suggestions/

Why SSH rather than SSL/TLS ? For an SSH based system, I'd rather expect
that a regular TCP/Unix DBus channel would just be tunnelled over SSH, in
much the same way as X is tunnelled.  For a built-in encrypted transport
simply leveraging the SSL/TLS protocol is the more common approach. One
can use any of OpenSSL, Mozilla NSS or GNU TLS libraries for this, though
the latter two are preferred for ABI stability & licensing terms. Its
actually surprisingly easy to hook these into existing apps with very
little changes to existing code required.

Regards,
Dan.