Beta release of the Java implementation of dbus

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Jan 2 17:56:24 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 19:43 +0000, Alp Toker wrote:

> When I brought this up earlier, J5 suggested that "after 1.0" was the
> right time to look into this and he also thought 'f' was a fine
> type-code :-)
>
> The ultimate decision of whether to use it is left up to application
> developers. There is no cause for concern over interoperability.

My only issue is that if we put it in people will start writing apps to
1.1 protocol and I would rather see new types being used once the new
protocol is ubiquitous.  Chicken and the egg problem I guess but we
don't want to get into the situation where people are just waiting for
the next version because their app won't run under the stable version.
We want D-Bus versions to be long lived.  Stability is more important
than features here.  However adding float won't break backwards
compatibility and ISV's who write to the 1.0 protocol can be assured
that at least the bus won't reject their message.  Application writers
need to be sensitive to not breaking compatibility though.