python dbus Introspect() causes server to core

tsuraan tsuraan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 11:26:48 PST 2007

I'm running with python 2.4.3, dbus-1.0.1, and dbus-python-0.71 from the
Gentoo repositories.  When I try to use introspection on the
example-service.py (modified to use the SystemBus, but vanilla other than
that), the python instance running the server crashes with a segmentation
fault.  The code that triggers this is:

>>> import dbus
>>> bus=dbus.SystemBus()
>>> obj=bus.get_object('org.designfu.SampleService', '/SomeObject')
>>> obj.Introspect()

The backtrace for the crashed python server is:

(gdb) bt
#0  0xb7ceda93 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0xb7e32365 in PyString_FromString () from /usr/lib/libpython2.4.so.1.0
#2  0xb7b90b3e in ?? ()
   from /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus/dbus_bindings.so
#3  0x00000000 in ?? ()

I'll be digging into this for a bit, but just in case, is Introspection on
python-based dbus servers known to fail?  For comparison, the following
python code:

>>> import dbus
>>> bus=dbus.SystemBus()
>>> dbus_object = bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.DBus',
'/org/freedesktop/DBus')
>>> dbus_object.Introspect()

gives me a nice XML listing of methods exported by the central DBus object
(which I assume is written in C).  Any assistance would be much appreciated.