Various more changes to dbus-python

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Wed Jan 10 10:15:58 PST 2007

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 13:31 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
>> As well as the patch to support switching off introspection in
>> get_object and get_object_by_unique_name (thanks Ulisses),
>
> It all looks good except this get_object_by_unique_name method.  Why
> can't we just use get_object and look at the input to determine if it is
> a unique name?  There actually shouldn't be any difference between
> requesting a unique name and regular name.  The only restriction on
> unique names is that they must be assigned by the bus and not requested
> by the client (i.e. you can not call RequestName on a unique name).

It depends on the behavior when a name changes hands. If I get a proxy
for org.foo.Bar and process 1 drops the name and process 2 acquires the
name, should my proxy now refer to process 1, process 2 or neither?

(More normally when a process exits and then connection again).

At least, that's what the equivalent in Java does.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson
http://www.matthew.ath.cx/