DBUS refused NetworkManager connection to system_dbus_socket

Eugéne Suter easuter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 10:17:24 PST 2007

On 10/01/07, Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> wrote:

> Looks like the dbus daemon hasn't been started or something like that.
>
> Havoc

Hmm... looks like you might be right.

The /var/run/dbus directory is empty.
I also have HAL running, and using Htop, I can see the HAL daemon running,
using the HAL user/group.
However, even though I did set up a user/group for DBUS,  I can't see it
running in its user account.
This is the command I used to setup the DBUS user/group:

groupadd -g 29 messagebus &&
useradd -c "D-BUS Message Daemon User" -d /dev/null \
        -u 29 -g messagebus -s /bin/false messagebus

Also, at boot up, my box runs /etc/rc.d/rc.dbus to start (supposedly) the
daemon. This is the contents of rc.hal:

#!/bin/sh
#
# messagebus:   The D-BUS systemwide message bus
system events \
#               and other messages. See
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/
#

pidfile="/var/run/dbus/pid"
processname="dbus-daemon"
RETVAL=0

# Sanity checks
[ -x /usr/bin/dbus-daemon ] || exit 0
[ ! "$(pidof $processname)" ] && rm -f $pidfile

start() {
echo "Starting system message bus:  /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system"
if [ -x /usr/bin/dbus-daemon ];then
        /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
fi
}

stop() {
echo "Stopping system message bus:"
killall $processname
rm -f $pidfile
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
    start)
        start
        ;;
    stop)
        stop
        ;;
    restart)
        stop
        start
        ;;
    reload)
        echo "Message bus can't reload its configuration, you have to
restart it"
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
    *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload}"
        ;;
esac
exit $RETVAL

What do you suggest I can change to get things going properly?